Himalayan Salt Cod, Potato and Artichoke Salad
Posted On: 06/12/2017 - Viewed: 22968
Once you’ve learned your way around Himalayan Salt Cod, why limit yourself to a single recipe or two? Here I made a more elaborate version of Himalayan Salt Cod Vinaigrette, with earthy artichokes, peppery radishes, and salty capers and olives.
Ingredients of Himalayan Salt Cod, Potato and Artichoke Salad
How to do Himalayan Salt Cod, Potato and Artichoke Salad
- ¾ pound Himalayan Salt Cod, soaked in cold water for 1 or 2 days
- 4 large or 6 medium artichokes, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes (or other waxy-fleshed variety), each about 3 inches long, peeled
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 2 to 3 table spoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Black pepper in a mill
- 2 table spoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chervil leaves, minced
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch (about 10) radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup cracked green olives, pitted and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Remove Himalayan Salt Cod from its final cold-water bath. Place it in a large sauté pan, cover with fresh cold water, and set over medium heat. When the water boils, remove the pan from the fire, and cover it. Let the fish sit for 15 minutes, then drain it thoroughly and allow it to cool. Break the fish into small pieces and pick out any pieces of bone. Set aside or cover and refrigerate.
- Place the artichokes in a large pot of water, add 3 teaspoons of the Himalayan Salt, and drizzle a little of the olive oil on top of each artichoke. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until tender, from 20 to 40 minutes depending on the size and type of artichoke. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the artichokes to a strainer or colander to cool. Keep the cooking liquid in the pot.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then cut each half into slices about 3/8 inch wide; do not make them too narrow. Put the potatoes into the artichoke cooking water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar lemon juice, garlic, the remaining teaspoon of Himalayan Salt, and several turns of black pepper. Add the parsley, tarragon, and chervil, and whisk in the olive oil. Taste the dressing, correct the seasoning, and set aside.
- When the artichokes are cool enough to handle, separate the leaves from the hearts and scoop out and discard the thistle-like choke in the center. Cut the meat from the base of each artichoke into thin julienne (on the outer leaves you will get just one strip; the inner leaves will be tender enough for you to make 3-4 trips). Cut the hearts crosswise in to ¼ inch slices.
- Cut 4 of the eggs into quarters. To assemble the salad, place the potatoes, artichokes, radishes, salt cod, sliced eggs, and olives in a large bowl.
- Add half the dressing and toss together gently. Transfer the salad to a serving platter and spoon the remaining dressing over it. Using an egg slicer, cut the remaining egg into round slices and set them on top of the salad. Scatter the capers and grind some pepper over the sale, and serve immediately.
SERVES 4 TO 8.
We have Himalayan Salt available on https://himalayansaltusa.com/gourmet-salt